Decrease Font Size
Increase Font Size

I just heard that I shouldn't keep Ipecac at home anymore. Is that true?

This week's question was from Kim in Merced: I just heard that I shouldn't keep Ipecac at home anymore. Is that true?

Jeff:

Yes, that is true. This was decided by the American Academy of Pediatrics. There are several reasons for this. First Ipecac is a medicine that induces vomiting. There are many poisons that cause burns on contact or even seizures. These products can be aspirated into the lungs if brought back up by vomiting which makes the original poisoning even worse. Secondly, after taking Ipecac, people could not keep the medicine used to treat the poisoning down and therefore the treatment was ineffective. Lastly, The most important rule of thumb is to always call your local Poison Control Center immediately if a suspected poisoning has occurred.

Last Updated Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 12:58 AM.
X
Connect With Us

Sign up now to receive the latest weekly ads, specials, and many other great items from Lucky.